Is Your Scalp Receding? Check Out The Following Hair Loss Treatments Available

Hair loss

Is Your Scalp Receding? Check Out The Following Hair Loss Treatments Available

The most common reason for baldness or receding hairlines is genetics – both in men and women. In fact, 95% of all baldness cases can be linked to hereditary factors, while the causes for the remaining 5% are varied and usually environmental or related to the person’s lifestyle. For example, low diet, illness, medications, and chronic stress can cause baldness. Thankfully, many effective hair loss treatments are evolving in both practice and effectiveness. Long gone are the days when transplants or wigs were a balding person’s only option. These days, most people can actually regrow what they have lost, meaning they can now cover up all those obvious and embarrassing bald spots. Here are some of the most common and promising hair loss treatments available in the market.

 

Rogaine and Propecia

There are only a handful of drugs approved to handle hereditary baldness, and Rogaine and Propecia are two of them. While Rogaine is a topical solution, Propecia is a pill designed specifically for men dealing with pattern baldness. Rogaine is applied directly to areas of the scalp where growth is desired. Unfortunately, less than 20% of people experience sustained growth using this method, so it remains one of the less effective hair loss treatments available currently.

On the other hand, Propecia has had a lot more success. Because it is a prescription medication, you need to visit your GP and visit your doctor frequently to ensure there are no unwanted, damaging side effects. Some of these side effects include impotence, dizziness, weakness and a decreased sex drive. Moreover, once the medication is discontinued, results will likely dwindle.

 

Micro-grafting

Man trying some hair loss treatments

Micro-grafting is the technical term for what is essentially a transplant. While there are medically approved methods of regrowth, transplants still remain one of the most common hair loss treatments for most people. The patient’s blood is separated using a centrifuge into plasma and platelets. After this, the plasma is then injected into balding areas for a period of up to two years. The purpose of the plasma is to assist blood vessels with repair and stimulate collagen production and cell growth. This is one of the most effective hair loss treatments, and it comes with only a few minor side effects, such as slight pain and inflammation at the injection site.

 

Laser therapy

In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the use of low-level laser devices to assist with hair loss treatments. A small number of studies have proven that laser therapy can improve the density of your follicles; however, far more research is required to ensure that such effects can be sustained over the long-term. Moreover, it seems to work for some people while not for others. The theory behind this method is simple – the laser invigorates circulation in your follicles, encouraging further growth and vitality.

 

Are there are any lifestyle or home-based remedies?

While there are several home-based hair loss treatments, their effectiveness is mixed and mostly anecdotal. These methods are more aesthetic in design, in the sense you can use these methods o draw attention away from your scalp. If you have styling products at home and a decent amount of growth remaining, choose a style that complements your head and minimises coverage on any bald spots you might have.

At the same time, remember that millions of people continue to use wigs as a way of covering their baldness, so it’s by no means a taboo thing to do. Likewise, if your baldness can be attributed to an illness you suffer from or a medicine you have been taking, then chances are your insurance will cover the cost of a wig.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.